About Bambolo, albeit under a different name , had already been mentioned in pre-Roman times , when caravans and direct traffic to the north and vice versa, you did stop to refuel and change horses, which were parked in the nearby "bivouac" (hence the name "ice, " yet in operation) .
There were found, at various times, many objects from the Bronze Age, fragments of axes, spears cusps , the remains of buckles, horse bits , indisputable witnesses of intense activity and road operations.
From time immemorial the Via Aurelia, to get around the large bay at the mouth of the seat, came from the south to the north Bambolo deflected toward the east, met the " Casalone Osteria del Piano di Castagneto "which was about a mile from the Via Aurelia current and a hundred yards of the pit of Bolgheri, and then continued to Scalabrone 's " Old Osteria del Piano di Bolgheri" finally fell in the current path just before San Guido .
In 1749 , took over the Lorraine to the Medici , was enacted the Law on Feuds and large landowners , not to be classified and private landowners of their possessions , were forced to make significant improvements to its possessions , especially to the caissons and the taverns which stood along the major roads .
Count Guido Filippo Gherardesca , who settled in Bolgheri , so he had to replace the Osteria del Piano di Castagneto, now dilapidated and
unsafe, with a new tavern , the future Bambolo , located in a strategic position even more , that is, at the confluence of the roads to the ports
Lower the Seat of the two divergent directions of the Via Aurelia , the way to Castagneto and the Valley of the Mills , irreplaceable source of culinary delights. The work was undertaken in 1754 , just 250 years ago.
But December 9, 1755 the count was missing for malaria and every activity was unavoidably suspended , to be resumed in 1756 by the widow Virginia Pandolfini on behalf of the sons Hugh, Camillus , Bonaventure and Thomas Blacks .
The construction lasted until 1759, with the Cardinaletti , the posts, a large table and a marble Community " mask " pure marble , perhaps a bust of the Count Guido Philip, who found himself so to perform the delicate task of teaching the new entity cuisine. The all carved by Romulus Della Bella, grandson of the same name of the manufacturer of the church of San Guido and author of important works in Castagneto and Bolgheri. Unfortunately, the mask had no luck, because, during the riots of Forty-eight , was knocked down and rolled up to the beginning of the ascent of Castagneto, where he was buried .
The tavern , simply called " Osteria di Castagneto New Plan " was lacking , according to the custom of the time, toilets, also flowed because next to the Botro Mills, in those happy times full of water all year round and indispensable source of dissetamento and hygiene for people and animals.
And the tavern took off slowly, with a long table and Community imaginative rotisserie built from such mountains of Volterra, with drip pan below for the recovery of precious moods.
For the rest of the eighteenth century alternated several hosts ( Ranieri , Gonzo, Giuseppe Bassi and others) but the fortunes more arrisero with the Kingdom of Etruria and the French empire , when the troops were traveling to Piombino and Elba and made a stop fixed to the bambolo , where officers found hospitality , while the soldiery encamped nearby , undermining fiercely cattle in the wild or in herds . There was no lack complacent girlie , a little ' sweet life and frequent quarrels , including a beating, and fierce corrective to a French officer who claimed the fork Community to herself. One night we even ran the dead , in the person of a fool Swiss soldier , who had dared to steal chickens Casone . The vicar had to intervene di Castagneto, " Pettinella " Gennari , but he refused to enter the tavern because poor hygiene and decency. The French called the tavern " Bamboula " (indicating , as well as an African dance , a place of revelry and gozzovigli ) that castagnetani translated to good in " Bambolo ."
The host Gualdi Francis , who is now at the same time tenant of fishing Seat , had an oven with two floors, said " fumicaia " , created for smoked eels , which , extending the marsh to the harbor and the coastal dunes , in combination the frogs , an abundant food , invigorating and profitable.
In 1831, it was rebuilt in the current route , from San Guido in St. Vincent and then to Grosseto , the Via Aurelia , raised two arms (d. 1.16 ) has eight bridges and lined with poplars , so that, in parallel, in 1832 it was also restored the tavern . However, despite the frequent change of managers ( Cheetahs , Massai , Salardi , Welcome, Fulceri , Locksmiths, Billi ) , the new " great street of the Maremma" , instead of stopping , pulling wagons and carts with long . No less luck he met the owner of Corneto , who had to sell to Gherardesca for the debts accumulated around the estate. Another disappointment for the tavern, was the creation of the railway , which opened October 20, 1863 with the name of Bambolo , because there just had to find the seat of the station , but the Count Ugolino chose to move to its current location in the middle of four their new houses .
After a vain and prolonged publicity in the Official Journal of Florence and Pisano , the Bambolo was forced to sacrifice himself to the intrusive sharecropping. In 1860, a room was rented to the post office , then came a first settler (John Grassi) , and then another , up to four. Even the adjacent aligned and stable " Corneto ," was elevated from " Bombo " Salvatori, the mason friend Carducci , for a new tenant farmer until in 1870 the inn resigned altogether and sharecropping ruled for nearly a century .
In the last war, in 1962 , also sharecropping disappeared from human relationships , and in 1967 the Bambolo returned to the roots, albeit in the most modern and sumptuous garments , transforming in the current hotel and restaurant.